4 extremely confident student ambassadors explained their vision for the school:
Connect Inspire and Soar: 10 minute
- We have more choice and we control what and how we learn.
- We tend to focus on one learning environment
- Much more project and student focussed
- A lot of kids and team teaching
- the kids are more self managing - more self directed over the course of the year
- based on student needs
- relationship between teachers is a whole different dynamic
- the human machine - PE and Science module(Yr9/10)
- Jam and Maori - read music and speak
- Da Vinci - science and Art - light and colour perspectives
- Special effects - art and technology - weta workshop module
- enjoyed Maths when we learnt it in a Science way
- 'somewhere to be' - Maths and PE - planning a run, going on a run, geocaching on the run and mapping co-ordinates
- all use dashboard for tracking student learning
Concentrating in open learning environment- how do you do it?
- if it's too noisy I go to a breakout room
- I put on my headphones
- I move to a different room
Students keep track on a spreadsheet of what they need to cover
Simple spreadsheet - we check where our gaps are
Advisory activities -
For the start of the year
Nail challenge: hard to believe this could be done!
- very strong belief in that the teachers learn as well
- students complete 'what am I learning'
- SOLO rubric for all learning - lots of work being done with Pam Hook - the students could explain this quite clearly
An excellent presentation from the students.
Quote: the teachers have to trust us a lot!
No laptops at lunchtime!
All social media blocked.
Phones only allowed for school work.
Quote 2: it may really look different - at the end of the day we're still learning!