Not much would have prepared me for the role!
Management vs Leadership - how do you keep the balance between leading and managing?
Be brave - can I have the difficult conversations?
1st Challenge - building relational trust - how do we go about this?
- be seen
- show that you care - look after them 'RHS' family
- be on top of the portfolio ASAP
- staff assume you know everything admit that you don't know everything - and that mistakes are made from learning
- respect everyone's role
- have competence
- act with integrity
Establish the Priorities
- what are the priorities - what is the current vision?
- individual 15 mins with every staff member - what do you like, where do you want to be?
- being visible
- get involved
- open transparent communication
What is 'part of the furniture' here?
Building the Team
- believe in the vision
5 Dimensions of Leadership
- who I employ vs who I have to work with that's existing staff?
- are meetings the right meetings?
Ensuring quality teaching
Leading Teacher Learning and development
- focus on teacher inquiry
Ensuring a safe and orderly environment
- protect teacher time
Change Management - biggest challenge
Kotter's 8 steps of Change