Focused on - curriculum innovation; design thinking; teaching as inquiry and modern learning pedagogy
Collaboration (common cause) vs Cooperation - what's the difference?
- a power difference
- everyone's input is crucial to get the task done
- cooperation more of a social skill
- product focussed
- can you have one without the other?
- choir ( from the same pre arranged sheet) vs jazz band (evolves during the process, everyone has solo, different every time)
Collaboration - common journey together at the start, the journey may evolve
- new perspectives - which may raise new questions
- cross disciplinary skills
- diffused responsibility and pressures, distributed workload
- comaraderie - humans are social beings - designed to work together
How can we change thinking and processes in order to achieve what we want to achieve? You know something can be better - eg how can our team work better as a team? How can we change, innovate or move forward?
What is design thinking?
A mindset, we know there is a framework to work through.
- human centred
- collaborative - as many perspectives as possible
- optimistic - we are going to make a change
- its experimental, risk taking, be prepared to change
- empathise - observe the problem, take notes, watch, what is it like. Ask and listen. Research, dig deep, what is like?
- define - look at your 'data' - synthesise, focus
- ideate - brainstorm
- prototype - analyse and choose one to try, incorporate feedback
- test - seek feedback, try again
Our challenge - work through the process
- hold off from jumping to solutions too soon - stick to the process
Empathy phase - deep understanding of the challenge - can be huge or small
Underlying issue - what are the links or themes? Is there a thread ? If what you believe, affects what you understand, and what you know..... Digging deeper, agree within the team that this is where are going to start
Ideate: how might we action what for whom in order to change something ......
How might be change or improve the perception of English for boys in order to increase engagement?
Ideate: Brainstorm - Don't reject anything at this stage - post its, share round the room, add as many
Refining - safe, favourite, moon-shot and collaborate on choosing these
Prototype - Sketch the idea - visualise this - if there are many ideas rank them, and work through the list
Test - seek feedback - good stuff and what won't work - rosebud, flower, thorn - refine and try again
What is English? - big question, not often addressed but essential