- no more than 3 pages - a concise response - Level 1; 5 pages - Level 2/3
- open ended - 3 pages
- quality more important than length
Teachers need to promote and encourage this - kids write a lot of stuff - can be quite tedious - is it necessary - in English they should be able to write a concise essay
Supporting evidence - does not mean 10 quotes - often they are saying too much
Nothing in standards, or curriculum that specifies a word count.
Better to write two pages of good stuff!
Should be able to complete all 3 standards in 3 hours.
Are students disadvantaged if they do 3 - NZQA research shows not.
We need 15-16 year olds to be able to respond to a question, in exam conditions. We do not expect a polished piece.
Discussion over the key words in exam questions! Should be the key words from the standard - not synonyms.
- looking for - stating an argument - build an argument
- show an interest in the text
- have a personal response
- choose texts that the kids can relate to, can see the purpose of
- original response often hard to see for some texts
- don't tell the kids what to write
OMG - quote from workshop about the exemplars ' if my kids wrote this I wouldn't give them Excellence!!"'